End User Testing
• Metal working facility – met with them. They are going to get smaller degreaser and use nPB in it. Will decrease solvent usage for their one customer who requires it to about 50 gallons or less a year. Got them to commit to working on aqueous solution also. Talked to OTA about going to talk to them about water conservation. Will set a meeting end of October or November.
• Remanufacturing-repair facility – Did research on paint spray gun cleaning and sent them systems and cleaners to look into.
• Microelectronics – Cleaning of pallets on hold there. Thanked us for work and will be in touch.
• Sheriff’s office – Went in with vendor in Sept. They bought a steam unit to clean bathrooms and cells etc. Bought one unit and plan to buy 3 more to reduce chemicals used. Also another vendor is redoing their laundry and cleaning chemicals to decrease toxicity and save them about 40%.
• Plating company - Met with them. Saw their adapted dry cleaning machines that use PCE to clean. Have reduced their TCE use over 90%. They have a trivalent chrome line and a hex line. They helped get me some time on NESF agenda and wasn’t to be involved with supply chain work and CE conferences if we need them.
• Plating company – Helped TURI Lab get on NESF agenda and has invited anyone from TURA to come see their operation. Also willing to work with me on information for case studies, supply chain work and alternatives as well as CE conference.
• Capacitor Mfr - Had one meeting with manufacturing and operations VP. They are committed to switch. Will also need to bring OTA in down there. Setting up a meeting with vendors and them to see the space and operation to start looking at cleaning lines. Researching cleaners and things to do with project.
• Optics Mfr - went into visit to see cleaning system and talk to them about why it isn’t working for one of their optic lines. Have worked with them to indentify problem, was in there with vendor this week. Have new action items for issues. Narrowing project scope down. Going to try a wetting agent in rinses and also work on redesigning racks for their optics used in cleaning.
Small Contract Work
Ongoing or Recently Completed
• Testing equipment for steam vapor cleaning. Evaluating range of applications for cleaning and disinfecting.
• Providing technical support and formulation development/evaluation
• Green product line testing for IEHA HPCP
• Evaluating ways to demonstrate that traditional cleaners can leave behind residues. Determine effect on resoiling
In the Works
• Soil removal testing (and maybe microbial testing) done on a no touch system. Have unit and will be finalizing project scope.
• Met with group about testing and future collaboration for improving housekeeping procedures and products
• General product performance testing (industrial)
• Chemical supplier testing of ingredients for I&I applications
• SHE seed grant proposal for Cleaning in Home Health Care. – Margaret Quinn, Nancy Goodyear. The proposed project will develop methods and collect pilot data to evaluate the health and environmental impacts of the use of cleaning products in the home healthcare (HHC) setting.
• University Research – disinfection collaboration with Dr. Goodyear. Performance collaboration with Dr. Nagarajan surfactant project
• Providing support/training for TURN Grant - Montachusett Opportunity Council. We have had some calls with them about workshop in November and are working n materials and presentation
Database Web Tool
• DIY site – reworking layout and working on fine tuning content
• Completing work on P2OASys updates.
• Met on 26th with electrolyzed water equipment and Dr. Nancy Goodyear UML. Saw new unit and talked about moving forward with testing.
• Steam Vapor cleaning continues
• “Green” disinfectants to be investigated for performance
Do-it-Yourself Cleaning Recipes
• Student has been working on videos for recipe making and performance testing
• Went to Washington DC to State of Green Cleaning conference to present on HPCP program with IEHA. Great reception on presentation. Great visibility for lab and will feed off this at ISSA in October.
• Working on new brochures and posters for lab
• Meeting about NESF and NEFA conferences coming in November and materials needed and information we want together while attending and doing a table at each. Have sent follow up emil on action items from that meeting
• Greening your facility fact sheet being worked on still. Internal review ongoing
• Did educational table at Westford Farmers Market
• Going to Dept of Corrections Visit as part of TUR Task Force initiative
• Asked to speak on toxics in Wenham this spring
• CIRI Conference in November 9-11
• MOC workshop Nov 15
• Article on Green and Clean for October issue of ICS magazine
• IEHA-TURI HPCP flyer for ISSA show
• TURI Web redesign
• PCE alternatives report ongoing. Trainings for planning coming up
• Working on matching grant possibly with capacitor manufacturer and maybe demo site with them or someone doing alternatives to cad or hexchrome plating
• TUR Planner course assistance on Alternatives Assessment section. Finalizing details for event
• NESF event in November will talk to companies about metal finishing and who is interested in that and supply chain work. Talked to internally at TURI about how to work together to reach large companies how to capitalize with smaller MA companies connections with TURI Lab.
• New training docs and SOPS being worked on
• Getting products in database and put away, updating inventory, database project of checking vendor contact information
• Vendors being contacted for new samples